Friday, February 24, 2012

5 Years + 1 Week

Ok, so I am a little behind, but last Friday, Alena turned FIVE! She is an amazing little girl that we were all excited to celebrate. Let me take you back a bit though...long before Alena was born we were given a gift....

Long ago, in a church far away, sitting in a big room, with not too many people, Ben and I were taught a simple but powerful lesson: We could hear the voice of God. Simple: Read John 10, it says we are His sheep and we can know His voice. Powerful: The Creator of the Universe speaks to me! This can be used for many different things, but one of the ways it has absolutely blessed Ben and I has been in raising our children. HIS heart (meaning God's) is consistently more compassionate, kind, loving, and gracious than mine...so it advantageous to hear His voice when it comes to kids who push me to my mental, physical, and emotional limits. He has this way of speaking to me about them that softens me and helps me see them in the light of glory. Did I mention this is helpful on difficult days? It's actually helpful on the easy days too.

So, anyway, 5 and a half years ago when we found out we were having a girl, we prayed and asked the Creator of our child, who was this being growing inside of me? And believe or not we heard astonishing, yet simple, characteristics about our little one. Now, don't let me fool you...sometimes I doubt, I think, "Really? We heard that, but will that be what she is really like?" I am not always steadfast- thankfully, He is. But then...5 years and 1 week goes by and I frantically search for the exact piece of paper it was written on that day....and when I find it, I am overwhelmed by the power there is in hearing His voice. I will only share a few because these are Ben, mine and Alena's pearls and we won't give them ALL away to the internet...but enjoy, because God is good and faithful and He is simple and He is powerful.

* Confident Joy
I wish you could hear what her teacher says at conferences, this confirms we heard right on this one!
* Shining Star
She is sweet and kind and dramatic and soft. She is a true light.
* Passionate Friend
To her brothers, to girl friends, to me, her dedication never wanes.



Her birthday party was simple. Strawberry Shortcake met pigs-in-a-blanket with chocolate covered strawberries on the side. I was fretting because I wanted MORE for her, MORE friends, MORE presents...but she looked at me, as we were making her cupcakes, and I told her just 2 friends were coming, and she said, "Perfect, mom, I can't wait." Thank you God for the gift of hearing your voice and thank you for the gift of Alena.

I love her, forever.

5 comments:

  1. ooooh, i love your little peanut too! Thankful she is in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing those precious moments of blessing. Alena's sweet spirit comes alive in many wonderful ways. I love being with her.


    She is a true reflection of your faith and love for God and willingness to be guided by His authority and leading. I am so blessed to stand by and watch that in action, not only with Alena, but also with Nat,Cabe and little Titus. I love you all.
    gg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this SO much, Crystal! And I completely know what you mean. Before our car accident, I was not one to listen to God's voice. I may have heard it, but I was usually too busy trying to prove I already knew what He was doing to actually listen. Or obey. One of the gifts of that head injury was being delivered of my opinionated and perfectionist "my-way-or-the-highway" nature. I am a much better mother for it!!

    But long before I could listen to God's voice, he sent us someone to give us a word about Son #1 while I was still pregnant. We didn't even know if we were having a boy or a girl. Spencer turns SIXTEEN (I know, can you even believe it?!?!) on March 5th, and every single thing our friend told us God had told her about our baby is 100% true. It is amazing.

    Some might claim it was a coincidence, but this friend moved to Hawaii. When I was pregnant with Son #2 (again, before we knew boy or girl) she came for a visit. She told us God had given her a word about this baby, too. Sam is 13 1/2 and fits that word to a tee...even some very specific, very private details that could only be our Sam.

    It's especially wonderful when other people use the exact words to describe my boys that God used to introduce me to them before they were ever born. God is awesome. He blows my mind everyday.

    You have grown into an incredible woman of God, and you are so obviously an amazing wife/mommy. I am kind of proud, lol. I love watching your family grow, and seeing you grow with them. I can't wait to meet Titus!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love sweet Alena! So fun to begin to see those words come to pass. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. friend, I love how you love your kids! All of them are such great kids! CLM

    ReplyDelete