Saturday, February 16, 2013

Some Things Never Get Old

Some things never get old...but some things do...

Like going to the dentist, it gets old. It's kind of like, come on already, didn't I JUST get my teeth cleaned? And now I'm getting this little postcard again, with a picture of Hawaii on it, reminding me to schedule ANOTHER appointment. That gets old. HELLO dental clinic, don't put Hawaii on the front of your postcard. Coming to the dentist is NOTHING like Hawaii.

But receiving flowers, that never gets old.  Ben got me flowers on Valentines day. When I couldn't find a vase, I think he made a comment under his breath, something like, "I should get you flowers more often, geez, if you can't even find a vase.." I thought, "Yes, getting flowers never gets old." (On a side note, he often brings me coffee, joy, time by myself...all things that make me not upset that I haven't had flowers in a couple months).

Vacuuming when you have 4 kids. That gets old. This is how it happens in our house. I vacuum at 10am. Ben gets home and after dinner he pulls out the vacuum to bless me because seriously the floors need it...again.

Some movies never get old. Some movie lines never get old. Like A Few Good Men. "You can't handle the truth!" Nemo. "Keep on swimming, keep on swimming." Facing the Giants. -The scene where he makes the kid do the bear crawl across the whole field.- I cry. Every. Single. Time. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Never gets old! RUDY. Ben loves it, never gets old. Barney Goes to the Zoo. Now that one gets old.

People get old. It's SOOOOO hard to think of my kids as little people...but they are, they are people and they are getting older. Alena turns 6 tomorrow and WOW! Seriously she is such a JOY! Ben and I vividly remember her day of birth and telling the story never gets old. She was born around 7am and the sun was coming right through our window at Tacoma General Hospital (which as we all know in February is a rarity). This is how she got the name Alena, it means light. And boy howdy, did we get that one right! She is like a fire. Bright and smart and heart warming. Seriously, she makes snacks for me and brings them to me just becasue she was making one for herself. THAT never gets old. She cleans her room without being asked. Never gets old. She is kind and patient beyond belif with Titus. She remembers stuff when I forget. All of this never gets old! Yet... she does.

One thing that will NEVER, ever get old about Alena is this. She LOVES to sing. For Chrsitmas she got a karaoke machine. She oftens asks, "Can I go sing my heart out?" Always the answer is yes. She sings and sings and sings. Ben made her  CD and it includes the song, 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.' Listening to her sing that never gets old... an old-y but a good-y. She sings 'Rocking Around the Christmas Tree', that one gets a little old, not her sweet voice just the Christmas song, when it's not Christmas thing. She sings Amazing Grace, that one doesn't get old. Really though, music doesn't get old. But that's another post for another time... for now I have 2 dozen cupcakes to make.

Good night and Happy Birthday to my generous, loving, bright shining light, Alena.

1 comment: